One food I love, wether for breakfast or as a snack over Greek yogurt, in almond milk or as a trail mix is granola. I have definitely bought my share of different brands on the market but realized that it would most likely be more cost efficient and healthier (no added sugars, salts or preservatives) if I made my own. So I did! After watching numerous YouTube videos and reading recipes I finally baked what I think is an awesome, tasty granola, packed with nutritious nuts and dried fruit.
It took about 10 minutes of prep and 25 minutes to bake. Once out of the oven it is ready to eat! Since it makes quite a bit, it’s best to store in the fridge in glass containers like a mason jar (it will act as the preservative), but I can promise it will more than likely not last long enough to go bad… It’s pretty addictive. Oh, and this recipe is also completely vegans for all you plant-based eaters out there! 🙂
This recipe filled up 3 large mason jars and one standard size one.
You will need:
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or your oil of choice but I find it adds a sweetness to it)
- 4 cups of raw oats (I like using rolled oats)
- 5 cups mixed raw/unsalted nuts (I used 2 cups flake (or halved) almonds, 2 cups pecans, and 1 cup pumpkin seeds)
- 2 cups of mixed dried fruit (I used apricots, apples, pineapple, cranberries and raisins). Make sure there is no sulfur dioxide in the dried fruit you buy, it’s a preservative that is not very good for you. If your apricots are bright orange, it contains the sulfur dioxide (naturally they are a darker black color).
- 1 cup coconut chips
- You can also add in 1/2 cup of raw caocao nibs and other superfoods such as goji berries!
- Set the over to 350 degrees farenheit
- Chop the fruit and nuts (I only chopped the large pecans)
- Melt the coconut oil on low heat on pan
- Mix the melted oil with maple syrup in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, mix all nuts and oats together, top with oil/syrup mixture and mix well
- Spray a shallow baking tray (I used 2) with coconut oil and spread the mixture thinly in pan
- Bake for 15-20 mins (it should be slightly golden but not too brown or burnt)
- Mix in the fruit and coconut chips and bake for another 5 minutes
- Let cool and scoop in to containers to store (or eat immediately-it’s so good warm!)
Hope you all enjoyed this recipe! Let me know how it comes out if you decide to give it a try. Also, go check out Niomi Smart on YouTube who inspired this recipe to bake homemade granola! 🙂